SUMMARY REPORT 2020-21 SCHOOL YEAR
This report serves as a snapshot of the goals and activities conducted during Q1 and Q2, at Washington Middle School.
School Year 2020-21 Goals
- Provide teachers, Principal, and staff with the flexibility to innovate and make decisions about staffing, curriculum, and learning opportunities to improve student achievement
- Flexibility in curriculum, instructional materials, and offer more customized learning experiences for students
- Hire staff that best fit the needs of WMS students and school culture;
assure STEM integration and interdisciplinary project-based learning (PBL) are implemented successfully at WMS
Opportunities for better implementation
- Arranging 6th grade schedule to reflect House Teams
- Is there a way to align the 6th grade schedule with 7th and 8th grade classes, to avoid limited access to some electives?
- What additional support do we provide math teachers to enable them to manage an integrated classroom?
- Identifying best practices for family engagement remotely, and to ensure there’s socioeconomic and racial balance
- If the entire TAF@WMS team had access to internal database and virtual platforms, i.e. DSA, Schoology, PowerSchool, we would be able to provide better support to students and educators
- TAF participated in the Interview committee for WMS new hires
- Hired three (3) TAF staff – Student Support Specialists – one for each math teacher
- Developed and continue to deliver professional development for all staff, i.e. Project-based learning as a Vehicle for Racial Justice
- Building relationship with House Teams to develop presentation of learning
- Established a leadership cadence with TAF Director, WMS Admin., BLT, and Instructional Council meetings
- Over 65 students participated in Junior Huskies Summer Academy
- Conducted TAF Town Hall mtg. for rising 6th grade students & families
- ¾ of construction completed for Makerspace and Robotics lab
- Identified eleven (11) families to serve on Parent Advisory Group (PAG)
Please send all questions to Krrichardson@seattleschools.org