Skip To ContentSkip To Content

    Washington’s history dates back to 1904 when the Seattle School Board purchased a site bounded by 18th and 19th Avenues South and Main and Washington Streets for $12,000. The original building was a 22 room frame and a stucco facility designed for high school students and constructed in 1906 at a cost of $67,800. It opened in 1907 and was named Franklin School though it was usually referred to as the High School Annex. It had a staff of seventeen teachers, supervised by William Geiger, the Principal of Seattle High School (later known as Broadway High School).

    In 1912, Franklin High School opened and Franklin School became Washington Elementary School. The first principal was Nellie Goodhue. It remained an elementary school until 1938 when it became a center for 7th and 8th grade students. In 1945 it became Washington Junior High School. By 1957 the school was very crowded, surrounded by 16 portables, in a cosmopolitan neighborhood serving Caucasian, Jewish, Asian and African American students.

    In 1958, because of overcrowding the School Board authorized the purchase of land on Jackson Street between 21st and 23rd Avenues for a new building, dedicated in April 1964, costing $2,456,000 with the most fragrant front entrance of any school in the city, thanks to Gai’s bakery across the street.

    In 1968, Washington became Garfield “B” serving grades 9 through 12, with a very fine career education program: An automotive-technology facility considered one of the best in the state, a comprehensive day-care center, a restaurant and food preparation area, a dry cleaning plant and a cosmetology classroom.

    In 1976, Garfield High moved from its “B” campus and consolidated its program on one campus. Pacific jointly shared the building with the School Age Parent Continuation program through June 1973, both programs serving populations with special needs.

    In 1978, the Seattle School Board approved a new 6-8 middle school in the Central Area, Washington Middle School. The entire staff of Madrona School opened this new school.

    In its first year of existence, 1978-79 there were two grades, 6th and 7th. Within two years, Washington expanded into a 6-8 middle school with a small class of 5th graders as part of a special program.

    The development of Washington Middle School was indeed a major task. Credits are due to the hard working and dedicated staff, volunteer parents and technical resources provided by Seattle School District Administrators and Staff.

    As special programs occupied the building several years prior to Washington Middle School, many building room alterations were necessary to accommodate a middle school population of 800 plus.

    Washington has become know for its tremendous diversity in instructional approaches and the variety of its classes and activities for students.